Valentine’s Day; a day of love, gifts and a ton of memes/quotes about how everyday should be Valentine’s Day with your significant other.
It has never been my favorite holiday and probably never will be when it comes to celebrating “love,” and trust me, it’s not because I’m single. Up until three years ago, I always had a date or a boyfriend on this day and every time they asked me what I wanted or what I wanted to do my response was nothing. The day was just so overrated that I wanted no parts of it and the only reason I like it now is because it’s the day I released my first book, but besides that, I’m like fuck it.
I feel like women get caught up in the hype of having a guy to get cute gifts from like candy, flowers, stuffed animals and if you’re truly special, jewelry. Even single woman will get caught up in the hype and scrabble to the very day to make sure they secure them that date (probably someone they’ve ignored forever and will ignore again a few days later) so they can post up a cute picture of the guy they are out to eat with and the gifts received.
It might be Valentine’s Day but there is no rule that says you have to be in a relationship or talking to someone to enjoy the day. That’s why I am here to help my single ladies out. Instead of being bitter and turning your nose up at every cute picture you see and posting up subliminal memes about those people who go overboard for V-Day, let’s be better by taking the day to love yourself.
Here are 10 ideas for the single women on Valentine’s Day:
1. Have A Single’s Dinner/Night – Chances are you’re not the only single one in the group. Plan a themed dinner for you and your girl’s and include your favorite treats and drinks. Share some crazy stories about past relationships or turn them into a game.
2. Cook Yourself a Romantic Dinner – No single friends? That’s okay. Cook your favorite dish, pour yourself up a glass of wine (or drink the whole bottle), light some candles and put on your favorite playlist (mine would probably include a lot of Jhene, H.E.R and Kehlani.)
3. Pamper Yourself – Plan a day at the spa. Get a massage, a facial, your toes and nails done. I guarantee you’ll come out feeling like a brand new woman.
4. Have A Movie Night – Pop some popcorn, get your blanket and turn on some of your favorite romantic movies. A few of mine include, Valentine’s Day (it’s cute and funny as hell), Love and Basketball, Pretty Woman and Waiting to Exhale (I think it’s good for any occasion.)
5. Dress Up – It might just be me but putting on something sexy, fixing up my hair (in my case a wig) and putting on a little makeup makes me feel amazing. Just because you don’t have a man doesn’t mean you can’t look good for yourself.
6. Go Do Something You’ve Always Wanted – Take an acting class. Go do a sip and paint. Go to that one restaurant or bar you’ve been meaning to checkout for months. Whatever your heart has been desiring, make it happen.
7. Treat Yourself – Go shopping! Buy yourself some flowers and chocolates. If you can afford it get you those earrings or a bracelet.
8. Singles Mixer – It might not be your thing but it could end up being a ton of fun. It’s something to do and you may make a new friend.
9. Bake – I’m not big on baking but I love me some baked chocolate chips cookies and they make me extremely happy. Use it as a cheat day and let your sweet tooth go crazy but don’t forget to brush.
10. Catch Up on Some Sleep – You may be a busy person and need the day to recharge. Rest is definitely part of self-care and we all need it.
Now that you have a few ideas, how do you plan to spend your Valentine’s Day?